2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (add more to make it hotter)
4 cups (or more) water
1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
1/2 cup tomato puree
1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp chopped green onions
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano leaves, and cayenne pepper; stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the 4 cups of water, lentils, and tomato puree. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam from the surface.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until lentils are tender, adding more water by 1/4 cupfulls as needed if dry, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in 1/3 cup green onions. Season chili to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the chili among 4 bowls.
- Sprinkle with remaining green onions and serve.